Thursday, January 08, 2009

Accessories from Recycled Zippers

In the past year, I have become much more interested in making things from recycled items. I started by making crocheted totebags from plarn - yarn made from strips of plastic grocery bags. More recently, I fused layers of the plastic bags to make some really cute makup bags. I finally got around to felting the large boxes of wool sweaters that I've had for several years in the basement and I had lots of fun making softies, puppets, barrettes and ornaments from them. I took an old bright green raincoat apart and used the fabric to make two reusable grocery bags (using the raincoat belt for straps, saved all the buttons and kept the really long zipper that connected the lining. I've also started using alot more recycled materials in my kids classes, both here and at the Arts Center. Too bad I didn't take pictures of most of these and they have either been sold or given as gifts. One item that has taken off has been my zipper accessories.


You can read about the basics of making them from a 4-H project here. I actually use polymer clay as a base for my items so that I am totally free to do any size or shape that I'd like. You can find these items for sale at my Etsy Store.

1 comment:

Para muestra un botón said...

You are welcome, Stacy, your jewerly line is very beautiful and unique!
Cheers!
Vivi