Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Puzzles and Words

Another favorite activity of mine is puzzles. I don't mean jigsaw puzzles (even though I do like to do them on occasion), I mean word games and as my family and close friends know, I mean saduko, kakuro, killer saduko and all those variations. My husband is always commenting about how much more I could get done in a day if I didn't do my puzzles. -oh well, the cleaning will just have to wait. Our family plays a word game at dinner called "ghost" and we love to listen to the puzzlemaster, Will Shortz, on VPR.

Ok, so I was looking up the term "mirror image" on Google (don't ask why) and came across the term Palindrome. Maybe everyone else knows what that term is, and I'm sure I learned it in high school, but I didn't remember. A palindrome is any word, phrase, number combinations that is the same backwards and forwards. Mom is a palindrome. Dad is a palindrome. 3663 is a palindrome. "Was it a rat I saw?" is a palindrome. Wikipedia has more information and some really amazing historical examples. Here are several other sites about palindromes. This one has a fill in the blank story and this one has a palindrome for the day. I love researching and learning about this kind of stuff. I could literally spend the rest of the day finding out more and more.... but my to do list is getting rather long.

No comments: