Friday, January 26, 2007

Heart 2 Heart Project

There is an organized group project in the quilting community to make fabric postcards for the miliary wounded. These postcard will be delivered to patients at the Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington DC on Valentines Day. You can find out more details about this at Karey Patterson Bresenhan' home page.

Anyway, I decided it was high time that I get involved in one of these charitable quilting projects. ...;and what a wonder gesture to send something handmade for those who have suffered and sacrificed for us all. I quickly sent our a mass email and am having two groups of people come to my studio this weekend to make postcards-yeah! Satuday is for adults and children and Sunday is for just adults. I am so excited. I love doing this kind of thing. I love seeing people play with all my supplies. I love seeing people try something and realize that they really are creative. I love the banter, the enthusiasm and the idea exchange of getting together. I love the fact that it's forcing me to clean up my studio. I guess you can tell I'm excited.
Last year, I did a similar Valentines Day fabric postcard workshop, but it was for personal use. Here are pics of some that were made then.

These were the ones I made up as class samples. I played with photos on fabric, beading, embroidery, foiling, fusing, hand quilting, free motion quilting, painting among other techniques..





Here are what the workshop participants created...


This was made my Marion who has done quite a bit of quilting and is always receptive for trying new things.






This postcard was done by Liz. She really had fun making this (and is coming again this weekend). She used all the decorative stitches on my machine, she foiled, she attached a heart rock, a wire formed heart, two heart charms, and and even found some of my heart fabric. Liz is an avid knitter, teaches rug hooking and even gets to dye wool yarn for a living.


This was made by Teresa - a total sewing novice. She is my role model and shining example of what you can do when you are willing to try new things. I love it!





Finally, this postcard was made by Kinsey, my 14 (then) year old daughter. Kinsey loves making things and is incredibly creative, but she doesn't really enjoy sewing. So, here is a marvelous example of what you can do with different glues and adhesives. I also personally love the fact that my thoroughly fashion forward up to date daughter created this 1930s retro feeling card. Lace, tulle, and cute little vintage images just don't seem to fit with her hip/hop style. That girl does keep my guessing.

I can't wait to see what we come up with this weekend!

No comments: