Sunday, August 06, 2006

Lowell Quilt Festival

I just deleted my entire blog of this, so this second version will be much shorter.
I had an amazing time at the Quilt Festival and the town of Lowell, MA is definitely worth seeing. The New England Quilt Museum is housed there and they have an incredible library of quilting and surface design books and magazines. I could spend days in there.

The journal quilts (and several of the Hurrican Katrina inspired quilts) were the highlights of the show for me. There were hundreds of journal quilts hanging around the perimeter of the convention room. I loved the techniques, the humor, the inspiration and the designs. Many of my pictures were blurry, but here are some pictures of some of my favorites:




















I liked the design and shapes used in this one.











The woman who thread painted these faces was standing in front of them with a group of friends. They were so cute, taking pictures of the artist, hugging each other and very animated. It was infectious and I'm amazed at the detail and realistic features of these portraits.




















The green and purple rectangles on the above quilt are made of sponges. She had used unusual things in all her journal quilts - very imaginative (I don't think I would have thought of doing this)




















These are definitely my colors and I love the leaves. She even used a row of leaf beads below the pieced leaves. Many journal quilts used beads as embellishments. There were a couple that were completely covered in beads, charms, buttoms, etc.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: